In the late 1930’s, Frank A. Smith started a landscape business and nursery. The original location was at the corner of Peachtree and Pharr roads in Buckhead. Over the years, Mr. Smith installed many residential and commercial landscapes throughout north Atlanta and the nursery portion of the business grew. In the late 40’s, the business was moved to the East Chastain neighborhood along Roswell Rd, in what would later become the Pike Nurseries location next to Weinstocks Flowers.
By the mid 80’s, having been solely a nursery for many years, the business was sold and moved north again, into the Dunwoody area off Jett Ferry Road. Under new ownership, JR Richardson began his long career with Frank A. Smith Nurseries. During these years, the nursery began to specialize in groundcover and Frank A. Smith Nurseries carried on its tradition of top quality material and service.
In 2006, JR Richardson with a group of investors purchased the business. The business has continued to grow into what it is today with a full line of groundcovers and perennials.